Sunday, September 9, 2012

Letter of Purpose

This is a very, very rough first draft of the "Letter of Purpose" I need to mail in with my application to the exchange program at TU Dortmund. It's not substantial at all and I've come back to it when I have more time, but for now any suggestions or feedback is welcome. I think at this point maybe about 5 people still read this blog so I don't think I should hold my breath.

"

In January of this year I found out I had ovarian cancer. Most of my year has been difficult and scary. I had surgery in January to remove the tumor and then received seven rounds of chemotherapy over the course of several months. Going through this struggle has given me a new appreciation for the value of life. I want to make the most of my life and experience everything I’ve always wanted to experience. I have always been very interested in traveling to new parts of the world and experiencing new cultures. I have not yet had an opportunity to travel anywhere outside of the United States. Discovering that my university has an exchange agreement with Technische Universität Dortmund has gotten me even more excited.
I am honored to possibly have the opportunity to study at Technische Universität Dortmund as part of the exchange program. The courses offered in business and economics will help me in obtaining my BBA in Accounting, the degree I am working toward at my home university. Though I am excited to take part in the German language course offered prior to the start of the semester, I have discovered that TU Dortmund offers many courses in English during the summer semester. I would also be interested in taking courses in literature, history, or laboratory sciences, and all three subjects would help me meet the requirements to graduate at my home university.
In addition to the academic benefits of a semester at Technische Universität Dortmund, I think living in Dortmund would be amazing. I would love the opportunity to explore the city, meet the people, and take in the culture of Dortmund and other parts of Germany."

Now I need to get back to focusing on coursework. My Management professor is both very strict and gives a heavy course load. For now, this is the only class I'm worried about and the only class I feel like I'm behind in. For each of my online classes, I had to write a little bio for a first assignment as a way to introduce myself to my professors. I made a B+ on my bio for Management! If I can't even get an A just writing about myself, then I have to really worry about how the rest of this class will play out...

I hope everyone (all 5 of you) had a nice weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. I read your blog even though I don't always comment!!! I love both your letter and your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short, honest and to the point.
    I like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol when I was in university it kind of felt like my paper's grade was not related to how hard I worked at all :-/ sometimes I swear they just slapped on a letter and sometimes wrote some incomprehensible philosophical feedback to make me confused then stop caring what grade it was. lol some professors have strict and strange criteria.

    the letter sounds good. I think you went through a pretty intense time with all the chemo, personally I would have talked about it more because you handled it so well... but I think a letter of purpose is supposed to be a little professional and proper so maybe you can't get too into it.

    at least you know some of the people reading your blog. i'm getting tons of hits from RUSSIA and none of them leave a comment >_>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I was drunk when I first read this post so I didn't want to comment then.

    I agree that it sounds pretty good. The one thing that really jumped out at me that you might want to change/add is something that shows why you are interested in studying in Germany in particular. Maybe it's because I, as a devoted reader, happen to already know that TU Dortmund wasn't your first choice, but it kind of comes as "I want to study abroad and am excited about [insert name of your school]!"

    ReplyDelete