Saturday, September 29, 2012

Birthday


My yummy strawberry birthday cake

Today is my birthday! I’m too tired from the little party my mom had for me to write much, but it was a good day. So many people have gone out of the way to show me that they care and it really fuels me to keep on moving forward with my head held up. 

All the birthday cards I've gotten the last few days
 I’ve been feeling sick and even more tired lately. My chest hurts, I get short of breath easily, and sometimes I cough until I throw up. Last night at the hospital I got some antibiotics through an IV and I have some antibiotics to take at home. I really hope that helps because the doctor in the emergency room couldn’t give me a reason for my feeling so shitty.  

Because I know I won’t be able to study abroad in Germany like I hoped, I’m going to try to save the money some have given me for my birthday to take a trip. I wanted to travel and I intend to make it happen somehow, whether I have many, many years ahead of me or not quite so much time. It gives me something fun to think about and try to plan. I’m curious about what you might think is the best place to travel. If you could pick any place in the world to go, where would it be? What is your dream vacation?

6 comments:

  1. Hi, nice to see a post from you. Hope your Happy Day was good. Is that a Mr Rogers card? I have been told I got to sit on his lap many moons ago.
    Did you get the medical insurance worked out? I have an idea if you guys have not already done it.
    Dream trip? An active lava flow would be cool,or Mt Fuji - Japan (more the place / culture than the climb). I would also enjoy a visit to any national park in a nice RV. Maybe think about this, it has something for everyone.

    http://www.si.edu/

    The Smithsonian


    ReplyDelete
  2. happy biirthdayyyyyyy tooooo youuuuuuuuu!
    smile! you're beautiful! :D

    my ideal trip? i'm not much of a traveler.. i'd probably go to the UK partially for the music festivals, but also for the neat culture and architecture. and because the accents are soooo sexy, hahaha. or australia, the weather is gorgeous, very beautiful. and the accents... >_>

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best vacation trip for the money I've been on so far has been the week I spent in Washington D.C. a few years back. I stayed in a hotel a short walk from the Crystal City station on the Metro's Blue Line so I didn't have to rent a car (rode the Metro everywhere, which was great in itself as everyone was very nice helping you figure out how to get where you needed to go unlike MARTA here in Georgia--though the less I say about MARTA the better).

    Not sure if it's still the case today, but when I went all of the museums were free around the National Mall and holy crap at the exhibits. You could easily spend a day in any given museum and not see everything, and the tours of the White House, the National Archives and Library of Congress were incredible.

    Basically, if you're into museums and historical exploration vacations, a trip to DC is pretty much Heaven on a budget. All I really spent money on was my hotel and food (metro was negligible, I think I spent maybe $5 a day getting up early and taking the Metro straight to one of the stops around the Mall and walking everywhere else, then taking another metro rail back to Crystal City late in the evening).

    I'd like to go back, myself. I never got to finish exploring the massive Holocaust Museum or a couple of the Smithsonians that were closed at the time for remodeling (probably go next year when I have vacation time again).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The west coast. The redwoods. The coast. The mountains. The peace and solitude. I have been but definitely want to return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lea and I took a trip to Italy a few summers ago and loved being there! Rome and Florence were beautiful--good food and good wine. One of my friends toured Europe several years ago and said the two places he wants to return to are Italy and Ireland.

    That said, we're also planning a trip to the west coast this summer--Yosemite, Redwoods, and Olympic Nat'l Park in Washington. We haven't been there yet, but it looks awesome...that's why we're going :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to rent a Mercedes G-Wagen or Land Rover, Jeep Rubicon, etc.... full 4 wheel drive and go up the Alaska Highway as far north as you can drive... watch out for grizzly bears!

    ReplyDelete