Sunday, October 14, 2012

When? How? Why?



My mom confessed to me last night that she and my dad went to see Dr. Barnes, my surgeon whose specialty is gynecological oncology, without me. I was very angry because I don’t want any information dealing with my cancer withheld from me. Both my parents apologized and said that was not their intention. Dr. Barnes still agrees with Dr. Gore that the alternative chemo option, BEP chemo, is not worth exploring because it will make me completely miserable without the payoff of adding time to my life. Continuing with the Avastin treatments will give me give me the best quality of life during my remaining time, which Dr. Barnes estimates is between 6 months and 1 year. I think this is what they tried to explain to me the last time I saw them – that with the Avastin treatments, I will feel the best I can for the rest of my life. I had just imagined that the Avastin could give me a lot more time than 6 months to a year. Last night I broke down and cried because honestly I am just so scared of what I will be facing. I considered dropping all my classes last night to just get rid of the extra stress they cause and because it seems that I probably won’t have enough time to finish my degree. Today I am feeling a bit better and I decided to keep my classes because I think staying occupied really helps me fight off depression. Being concerned with meeting deadlines for completing assignments or studying for tests really helps keep me from dwelling on the shitty stuff. My family wants to go with me on a little trip during Thanksgiving break if I am feeling up to it. Right now we are thinking of Las Vegas. I was originally not excited about that destination but after looking it up, there are a lot of fun things to do there that don’t involve gambling. Also, the Grand Canyon is nearby. I think it will be a very tiring trip for me, but I really wanted to get out and do something special, especially since it could be my last chance. 

The Grand Canyon
The fountain at the Bellagio
The Strip
Let me know if you've been to Las Vegas and did something fun there that I might not know about. Or if you have any traveling tips or ideas.

10 comments:

  1. glad you're feeling like you want to focus on your schoolwork.. definitely helps a person's mind. just focus on doing your best.

    this is just my opinion. i'm not an expert or anything, but i think no one knows for sure how long you have. even experts are wrong, maybe it's a long time, maybe not as long. regardless.

    you have things you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to make the best of it either way. :-)

      Delete
  2. Saying BEP chemo is not worth exploring because it will make your life miserable just boggles my mind considering what Avastin will do to you if things aren't the perfect storm of no negative side effects they seem to be hoping you'll get.

    Is it because of the complications that would come up from you already being Type 1 diabetic plus the chemo you already went through basically making the cancer more able to resist the BEP regimen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both my original oncologist and my surgeon whose specialty is gynecological oncology feel that my cancer is chemo resistant and after going through BEP, the cancer will just return quickly again. The plan with Avastin seems to be to make me feel the best I can with the limited time I have left.

      Delete
  3. I think it sounds good to continue with your life as much as you can as long as you're enjoying the things you do. Las Vegas seems cool, and Crand Canyon seems amazing. I hope you get a nice trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegas is so much fun! My Mom and I went last year and had a great time! I will tell you DO NOT DRINK THE WATER or use it at all if you can help it! There are bacterias and risks of contamination in the water of small areas with huge populations. People fighting cancer are more at risk than the average person. I'm convinced that is what caused my mom's super dangerous pneumonia. Go, but be safe with your health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip! Message me if you have any more advice about the trip!

      Delete
  5. Apparently you can zip-line! I've never been to Vegas but I heard there are AWESOME zip-lines!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete