Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ME NO THINK GOOD :-(


“Chemo brain” may sound silly or just made up. It is most definitely real.  “A UCLA study shows that chemotherapy causes changes to the brain's metabolism and blood flow that can linger at least 10 years after treatment. Reported Oct. 5 2006 in the online edition of the journal Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, the findings may help to explain the disrupted thought processes and confusion that plague many chemotherapy patients.” Fantastic…

My little lapses in common sense and basic cognitive functioning used to terrify me but I have gotten accustomed to it after a bit of time. I don’t really care so much that I continue to try to use my car key to get into the house, but not being able to grasp mathematical concepts with I’m working out problems for my business statistics course bothers me a lot. As does my constant use of an entirely different word when typing than the word I intended to use. Like using “and” instead of “about.”

Not that big of a deal maybe, but today I really outdid myself. I decided to try to bake some Brussels sprouts for lunch. I put them in the oven, set the timer, and went into a different room to watch a show on my computer. I got really absorbed in the show, and vaguely remember thinking “What is that annoying beeping noise?” I think my mind grazed over that question about 3 times before I finally thought, “Oh shit!” and I hustled into the kitchen to take the stinky, burned Brussels sprouts out of the oven. If anyone out there loves blackened Brussels sprouts, better call dibs before I throw them away.

7 comments:

  1. Hi! You will feel and think better once you get a break from chemo. You have fatigue from the chemo and stress, your brain is just trying to slow down to save energy. Eat as healthy as you can stand. Talk to the Doc about it next time so you can see what they think.

    Hang in there kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor says just keeping my mind active and in use in helpful. I really do hope that I sharpen back up a lot after chemo though.

      Delete
  2. If Mark is right, then you'll have plenty of smartseses to get back. The article also doesn't specify much because they can't (extent of issues, likeliness). It's a 2006 article too, so it might be supported or refuted since then. I'd talk to your doctor.

    If it's a little difficulty with some cognitive skills, I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you're not nuking all your brussel sprouts all the time, for what it's worth, some of the quickest/sharpest high IQ people I know have also been the most miserable. Definitely not a necessary, or only, key to a happy beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I tend to be a worrier though I try not to be. I will just have to wait and see how everything turns out and deal with any problems as they come up.

      Delete
  3. Cancer.org pretty much always has the best and most up to date articles on (obviously) anything having to do with cancer and it's treatment. Here is the current (last revised 5/30/2012) article on Chemo Brain.

    Cancer.org Chemo Brain Article (click here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chemo brain was pretty much the worst side effect for me when I went through chemo, other than the sheer exhaustion. I'm only just now starting to feel "normal" again, though there is still some lingering mental tiredness that no amount of caffeine or rest really helps with (it is getting better, though).

      Definitely talk to your doctor about it, but try not to let it bother you if he doesn't seem to be too worried about it. At this stage of things Chemo Brain is a recognized side effect, but basically still in the "we know it happens, but there is absolutely nothing we can do about it right now" camp.

      On the bright side of things, going through chemo gives you a pretty good idea of just how much pain you can endure and still function, so once you're done with your treatment and get your energy back, you're going to be kicking some serious ass moving forward.

      Not saying I'm glad I had cancer, but damn if I don't look back on who I was before going through it and wouldn't go back to being that person for anything.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the updated article and the insight :-)

      Delete