Friday, June 22, 2012

NERD ALERT!!!

I took this stage makeup course because I like doing makeup. The following pictures are not for an assignment for that class. I did it simple because it got stuck in my head and it was fun, not because I joined a death metal band:






Next is a picture I've been trying to capture for a while now. Every time she hears me coming and sees me with the camera, she moves so I had to sneak up on her:
Fat, lazy lump of dog





Question 28 of 7th Business Statistics test (unnecessary to read unless you want to zone out in boredom halfway through): "A national manufacturer of unattached garages discovered that the distribution of the lengths of time it takes two construction workers to erect the Red Barn model is normally distributed with a mean of 32 hours and a standard deviation of 2 hours. What percent of the garages take between 30 and 34 hours to erect?"

My question posed to the entire class via the Facebook group we had to join (unnecessary to read unless you want to zone out in boredom halfway through): "I don't understand how the answer is not around 68% since 30 and 34 are both 1 standard deviation from the mean, on either side. I got 68.26% when I worked out the problem using appendix B1. None of the answer choices are near 68% but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Did anybody else get something different?"

Response from professor: "I have contacted the publisher and as soon as I hear from them, I will adjust the credit to the question." (the tests we take are made by the publisher of our textbook, not the professor)

I don't see why the professor, who has a PhD in economics, cannot just tell me if I am right or wrong. I feel like he should know what the answer should be. I've read the problem over and over and it seems pretty cut and dry, but I won't be satisfied until I find out for sure. So if you are reading this and are sure that you know the answer, please validate me or correct me!

 

2 comments: