Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Maldita quimioterapia!





I hope you're smiling now!



This weekend was really successful in terms of cheering myself up. However it did put me behind in terms of classwork so I spend most of yesterday desperately trying to catch up, which was boring as hell and draining.  I’m going to beat cancer but microeconomics might be the death of me. 

Things I did to cheer myself up during the weekend:

-Watched the movie Oldboy. I thought it was a great movie but really gut-wrenching so maybe not the absolute best choice for lifting my spirits. 

-I had breakfast with my dad at The Cracker Barrel. He gave me a nice note a woman at the cancer center had told him was for me:
I have no idea who this person is or why she noticed me but the message was really sweet. Something so small can make a different in a stranger’s life (in this case I’m the stranger), especially if that person is going through a rough patch. 

-I took the time to do my makeup so I could feel attractive again (it’s been a struggle lately):



 



-My Swedish friend Daniel and I switched accounts on the dating site where we are both members. He is now in charge of my profile and I am in charge of his profile. This provided hours of entertainment, though that might sound silly. I found out it is difficult to be a male trying to communicate with women on a dating site. I wasn’t getting many replies to my messages. I read that, according to a study that may or may not be a reliable source, a male writing to woman on a dating site should write long, thoughtful messages if he hopes for a reply and a woman is better off keeping her messages short. In my experience, males will respond to just about anything. Sorry guys. I suppose I abused my new power a bit by messaging a female (as Daniel) and simply said, "OH MAN! LOOK AT THEM BIG OL' TITTIES!"

-I finished a rough sketch of a tattoo design my brother had commissioned me to create. My brother is a marine and the tattoo he wanted me create was a sheepdog protecting the sheep from the wolves. I’ve been stressed out about it because I don’t know how to design a tattoo, I’m not that great at drawing, and I didn’t think what I came up with would match what he had in his head. I won’t post it here because I don’t feel like I did a very good job at all. I got a semi-positive review from him though, which was reassuring. 

-I Skyped a bit with one of my German friends. I learned some interesting “Life in Germany” trivia that will be useful is my study abroad plans pan out. I’m waiting to hear back from the coordinator at my university about a time I can meet with her and the details. 

6 days until the last chemo and I’m dreading the extent of how awful I will feel so much that I’m ready to run away to Mexico. Necesito un compaƱero de viaje! Esta mierda va a terminar pronto.

And now on to “Businesses and the Costs of Production”…  :-(

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you with
    that self-image thing, You are
    a very good looking young woman.
    That's all the help I can give.

    I hope you have a most excellent
    weekend. Keep up the good job of
    getting through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Spike Lee is going to direct some sorta Oldboy remake and the image on this page made me shit my pants with laughter: http://www.slashfilm.com/spike-lee-confirmed-direct-oldboy/

    In my experience, guys will respond to just about anything a girl does if she's pretty. You're pretty, so they're gonna at least going to stop and talk to you.

    I loved Oldboy @_@

    --OLDBOY SPOILER BELOW--

    I just hate movies with neatly wrapped up endings where everything's perfect.. it seems really fake and like they're patronizing me. Oldboy was not one of them, maybe even the complete opposite.

    I'd imagine Spike Lee's movie is going to be in English. I have no idea how american audiences will react to a dude doin his own daughter :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie-cutter movies are boring. Oldboy is disturbing but it's a great film.

      I'm not sure how I feel about it being remade. :-/

      Delete