Thursday, April 5, 2012

RIP Gordon


My mom has two dogs. We have two dogs. We had two dogs…

I have talked more about Emma in this blog because she is still a puppy and is always getting into trouble. Gordon, our other dog, was getting to be an old man. He lost a lot of his pep recently and didn’t have as much energy or enthusiasm as he once had. It was easy to blame some of this behavior on aging. He started to get much worse pretty rapidly though. This week he was obviously having trouble getting up once he was lying down. He wouldn’t get up at times for food, water, treats, or even to fall into his typical routine of following my mom around the house. After he wouldn’t even get up at bedtime to go and sleep in my mom’s bedroom as he always does, we decided he needed to see the veterinarian. My mom took him yesterday afternoon. I had a sick feeling in my stomach that she would come back with bad news, but was not the least be prepared for what she told me. Gordon had cancer. Damn cancer… His stomach was swollen much like mine because his mass had ruptured and it was causing him to hemorrhage. The vet said that even with surgery, he would only have about 2 miserable months to live. So this morning, my mom and I took him back to the vet to have him put to sleep. We didn’t want to watch him waste away in pain. I don’t want to go into any more details beyond that. It was hard enough experiencing it and I don’t want to relive it through this post.  At the moment I just feel a bit numb. Emma can tell we’re upset and that something is wrong. She has been crying on and off for a while now. Maybe a shower will help a bit. 

No more suffering

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your puppy, Mary. Such sad news :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sad to deal with but I am glad he is not in pain anymore :-)

      Delete
  2. I share your grief over your Gordon. How good he was for you both; and what fine mistresses you were for him.
    RIP Gordon
    Love to you Both

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry mary! = (

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor dog...

    This is a news about breast cancer.
    If it summarizes...sorry I can't explain well in English.

    Scholars found why breast cancer recur.
    They are Noriko Goto and Kunihiko Hinohara in Tokyo University.

    When stem cell membrane sticks to protein named "HRG",It recurs(switch on increasing).

    This is a page.
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/science/news/20120402-OYT1T01242.htm
    Sorry in Japanese site.

    I hope this study will progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sad and very sorry to hear about your dog, mary. :( i hope you are doing well otherwise.

    -allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much better than I did! It's a good thing to know he isn't suffering anymore, I just miss him.

      Delete