Wednesday, February 15, 2012

port installed

I think the icky orange stuff is betadine

I don't think I mentioned this but I was called yesterday and got my port operation changed from 9AM to 6AM today so we had to be at the hospital at 5! Mom and I were a teeny bit late because dragging out of bed this early was extremely difficult for both of us. This was a minor surgery compared to the one last month in which they removed my ovary but I was surprised that they prepared almost just as much. The anesthesiologist was kind of cute, but don't worry - I played it cool with my no makeup look, unbrushed hair, and hospital gown. He said he was going to give me something called "twilight medicine" which would just make me kind of out of it and not really caring what was going on, and then a local anesthetic for the area. Dr. Barnes (same surgeon as before) put in the port. I remember being in the OR and the anesthesiologist putting the "twilight medicine" in my IV and shortly after that, I was out. He had said I would hear voices and be aware of things going on around me, but I think I was so tired from not sleeping well the night before and getting up so early, I don't remember a thing. When I started to come to, they were moving me around a bit and I said, "Are we getting started soon?" and someone replied, "We're already done!" In my head, I had imagined laying there watching the surgeon slice me open. I was being wheeled off to the recovery room and vaguely remember saying crazy things to someone like, "I'm going to be skinny like a super model!" and "My friends think I will look good bald!" Oh well. I hung out in a recovery area while a super nice nurse fed me ice chips with a spoon and then got moved to another regular room where I could hang out with my family. They did an x-ray to make sure the port was in the right spot and then I was good to go. So even though I am uncomfortable, I can't lift with or raise my right arm for a few days, and I have to carry a special card in my wallet just in case I go through a metal detector... the whole experience wasn't nearly as scary or dramatic as I was worried it would be. And now they can use the port for chemo and drawing blood on Monday.


And now tonight my sweet daddy is taking me to see Wicked! Honestly, I don't know that much about it, but I hear it's awesome. I know a lot of people have seen it again and again so I'm exciting. (Though I think my dad is more excited than I am, hehe)


  1. Hi dear,
    Linnéa told me about your blog and I wanted to say hi. It is sad to hear about what you are going through right now. I hope you have enough courage and energy to also explore other methods of therapy, even if it is only proper nutrition to keep your body as healthy as possible to bounce back from the horrible chemo or radiations you might have to go through. I was very sick a few years ago, not cancer, but I learned that nature have sometimes more and better answers than the cute ;) doctors have. Sending you many hugs and will hope for a very speedy recovery.

    1. Thank you, I will keep that in mind! I'm sure proper nutrition can help with any health problem :-)

    2. It does.
      I did Nutrition Response Testing, or more commonly available Muscle Testing... it is a very good help in restoring balance. I am sure your body can use all the help it can get. xo