Wednesday, February 15, 2012

For balance, a lighter note

Strange-ish, but I decided to think of some positive things about getting cancer:

  • Sometimes you (or maybe just I) start to doubt how much the people you know really care about you, but something like this is an overwhelming affirmation of the love your friends and family have for you.
  • When my hair comes out, I can wear any kind of crazy wig or head accessories I like and no one will call me out on it.
  • Everyone is super thoughtful and patient when dealing with me. People want to go out of their way to make me happy and comfortable (though honestly the extra special treatment makes me feel a bit guilty because I haven’t done anything nice or exceptional myself to deserve some of it, especially all my presents)
  • I can dress like a total slob and not feel the least bit self-conscious about it.
  • I have the free time to accomplish something worthwhile. I could work on improving my Spanish. Crawl my way through some of the difficult philosophical texts I have. I could try to draw something amazing.  None of this has even been attempted thus far, I should say.
  • I feel more opened up emotionally. I normally have a hard time expressing my feelings but having had so many people send unabashedly emotional messages to me has made me open up. A little too much at times!
  • I’m doing a much better job of keeping in touch with the people that I care about that are far away. I had gotten really bad about that.
  • If I need to, I can sit my ass down and take a rest anytime and anywhere, and no one is going to make me get up.
  • No one picks on me for eating hardly any of my food. They all know there is a decent chance it will come right back up.
  • I don’t feel guilty about spending way, way too much time on facebook.
  • I will not be getting a zero tip on a $100 tab for a long, long time!!!

These are just a few I thought up just now. I might add more later because I'm sure I missed some.

2 comments:

  1. A quick hello from Sweden, just across the atlantic! I Will keep on reading if you keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Linnea from Sweden that you used to work with. You are so strong, its amazing! I really hope you will get rid of your cancer. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete