Saturday, March 17, 2012

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)


“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” -  John Lennon

Little girl Mary would not have expected me to be where I am in life right now. I think little girl Mary would have expected me to be an astronaut with a husband, two kids, and a variety of different strange pets by now. Life keeps throwing these surprises at me and I just have to adapt. I know this will sound stupid, but earlier today I thought, “Wow, I really have cancer. This is so strange!” I think I might have been finished with school by now and maybe even have some semblance of a career at this point if I hadn’t been dealing with such crippling depression for so long. I finally felt like I was back on track when I started back to school last fall and was doing so well, then, “Surprise! It’s cancer!” I think I would feel a lot more frustrated if I didn’t feel that this was just one more traffic jam that will clear up soon enough.  My tentative plan at the moment is to take a couple of online courses this summer to get back into study mode, and then hopefully be back on campus this fall. I’ll just have to see how everything plays out.

No big St. Patrick’s Day plans for me. I think rest mode is the best place for me to stay at the moment.


2 comments:

  1. Life hits you with surprises.. one of the smartest men I ever meet said that in America many people seem to believe that is a sign of weakness to be depressed and seek help for it, while really it shows sight of health and self knowledge. To know you boundaries and to step up for yourself. When I was sick, and after, i went to therapist for years. It helped me, made me stronger and made me test myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad here that many people don't understand depression and are not sympathetic about it, even though it can mess up your life in so many ways. I'm glad that seeing a therapist has helped you so much! It's great to have a place to say whatever you like. I need to make a new appointment with the therapist I just started seeing, so thanks for reminding me of that! :-)

      Delete