Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Counseling For Dummies


 Ok, I’m done with Sharon (counselor/therapist/psychologist). She really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I could deal with her if her over the top personality was the only issue (probably not though), but her offensive comments have pushed me over the edge. Not only did she make highly inappropriate comments about religion and negative comments about people of different cultural backgrounds, she said one thing that just left me completely speechless. When I told her than I planned on embracing my baldness when it gets extremely hot this summer, she said, “That’s ok! People will just think you are going through a butch phase!” What the fuck? That is not ok to say in any setting, much less a professional setting. I already feel that I don’t need therapy but if I did, I would not put my mental health in this incompetent woman’s hands. Also, it seemed a bit alarming that the bookshelf in her office had so many For Dummies books on it (Depression For Dummies, Bipolar Disorder For Dummies, etc). I don’t actually like talking to dummies… and I certainly don’t want to leave therapy feeling worse instead of better. 

I went out today on a trip to get mouthwash and olive oil and I wore only a thin, pink skull cap. I’m sure I looked very much like a chemo patient and I got a lot of stares. It didn’t really bother me that much and I pretended not to notice. Maybe I should go the route of telling myself that people are staring because they think I am famous (ha!) or giving them all dirty looks and yell, “I have cancer! Do you have a problem with that??” No, not really my style.  :-)

Tonight I get to eat sushi and see my friends Kathleen and Perri! We are eating at the Japanese restaurant that I mentioned in a previous post. So I have two wing women and maybe I can now find out at least one of the names of the two cute guys who work there. Flirting is not my forte though. I’m just glad I get to see my friends! Gotta pack in some fun before chemo Monday!

*EDIT*

Just got some pink hair in the mail! Now I just need a crazy party to go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment