Friday, March 16, 2012

Single White Male seeks...


I started to write this post yesterday but got sidetracked even though I was feeling so much better than the day before. So I’ll just be lazy and edit what I’ve already written and add a bit more :-)

I made it through the dreaded 2nd day after chemo (Wednesday) and was feeling at least 10 times better yesterday. Wednesday, even after 10 hours of sleep the night before, I still needed 3 naps during the day! I’ve heard that this 2nd day after chemo is the worst for other people too. My mom’s friend at work who went through chemo for breast cancer said it was her worst day also, and some chemo patients my friendly grandmother chatted with in the waiting room at the cancer center said it is also their worst day. So hopefully it will be an uphill climb from here! I know that I could still get sick so I’m going to be carefully to try and avoid potential hospitalization by washing my hands constantly and avoiding big crowds of people and especially sickly people.  I also know I have some unpleasant bone pain coming up because of the neulasta shot. I think that was only bad for about 24 hours last time though and it’s completely worth is if it helps keep me healthy. I’ll be out partying all night again in no time (clearly joking!). Next round should be April 2nd.

So many, many posts ago I mentioned seeing a giraffe scarf that I really loved in Target but that I didn’t buy because money is tight and I didn’t want to spend the $15 on it. Both my parents are so sweet and have been on a crusade to get it for me! My mom went back to the Target where I saw the scarf but it was sold out. When I told my dad about the scarf he checked some other Targets and eventually found and ordered it for me online! It came in the mail yesterday! I got a picture of it so you can see why it was so highly coveted, lol:


I’ve been talking a lot with the guy I went on the coffee date with, Aaron. I don’t want to say too much or say anything awkward because he reads this blog, but I really did have a great time on the date and he seems like really, really nice guy so far. Oh, and he has sexy eyes! He’s also been great about all this cancer stuff. We even chatted on Skype while I was bald, which doesn’t bother him at all. Going through chemo definitely makes dating a lot more difficult (also that he lives about two hours away). It’s still very early but it’s nice to have met someone I feel so comfortable with, especially while dealing with this difficult situation. We plan on hanging out again as soon as I’ve feeling up to it and he can drive out here. 

Even though I felt horrible most of the day Wednesday, something did happen to cheer me up a bit towards the end of the day! I made up with my penpal that I’d had the fight with and was all upset over. So readers, you no longer have to stress yourselves over this! He lives in Sweden and is very busy getting his master’s degree so I just have to understand that he doesn’t always have much free time to chat. Last night I decided to try to find him a Swedish lady friend on the dating website we are both on but wasn’t having much luck. There just weren’t very many options on the site. So any single Swedish ladies reading this post, listen up! I have a great friend who is in Lund, Sweden. I mistakenly said before that he has blond hair and blue eyes, but he actually has kind of a lighter brown hair with green eyes (oops!). He is smart, funny, and handsome! He is 23 and 5’11. He is currently getting his master’s degree in ecology and cares about the environment! He has done volunteer work in other countries and is also a great photographer. According to match questions on the dating site we are on he is more adventurous, more independent, more compassionate, more progressive, and less old-fashioned than the average straight male his age. A personality test he took on the website also says he is good boyfriend material, though if you would just like to use him for sex, I don’t think he would be upset! I can’t post his picture here or he would probably be really ticked off at me, but he is very cute! So let me know if he sounds like your type! :-D 

No news on my pretend wedding at the moment. My fiancé has been too busy trying to help me figure out how my own computer to discuss it. I hope that he doesn’t decide that I’m too stupid to pretend marry! He tried to send me a movie to watch and I had so much trouble getting it to work, lol. It’s supposed to be an awful movie (Caligula) but now I’m curious and have to take a look, much like driving passed a car accident.



My parents and I have still been exploring options for when I have to be booted off health insurance in September (age 26 is the cutoff). The whole system is incredibly frustrating and confusing. If I’m off of health insurance for any period of time, my diabetes and cancer are labeled “preexisting conditions” and I think at that point it is impossible to find someone to cover me again. For now, it looks like our best option might be a program called COBRA. It would be expensive, but I could still stay on their insurance and get the same benefits. I wish the health system wasn’t so twisted and broken here. I suppose it’s fine if you’re healthy and make plenty of money, but for those of us in a different situation, it’s just bullshit.


My sweet friend Linnéa shared this with me:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vvncK7e8CU


It was amazing to watch and hear people thinking and feeling a lot of the same things as me. It's a moving video.

3 comments:

  1. A swedish single man! He should be yours Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think I would have trouble dating a guy with an ocean between us!

      Delete
  2. Well if he's getting his Master's Degree, I just might have to go pay him a visit...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete